Twitter is a pretty unique communications medium. It allows you the ability to interact with other people on a real time basis, on pretty much any topic you can imagine. Some candidates in the upcoming Calgary Municipal Election use Twitter quite well, often engaging potential voters in policy discussions and debate. Other candidates feel that they should use Twitter as a 140 Character Press Release, letting everyone know where they will be and what they had for dinner. Barb Higgins, the "great communicator" falls into the latter category. Here is a sample of her Twitter page...
As you can see, the "great communicator" only follows two people on twitter, yet of the 692 people following her, she does not see the need to interact with them. It looks like Barb has taken the SOCIAL, out of SOCIAL MEDIA!!
I am not sure why the "great communicator" does not want to interact with Calgarian's on Twitter, but perhaps some of the following ideas apply?
- Barb does not want to waste time talking with the "dirty, common Twittering Calgarian's". Unless we belong to the Mount Royal/Rideau Park Elite, of course? Tea over Twitter?
- Barb still has not got a grasp on the issues facing Calgarian's and what is really going in this city once you leave Signal Hill. ( Is that City Hall? I recognize it from the teleprompter view....)
- Barb is not sure of what to do, as there is no Teleprompter app for Twitter.
- Barb's handlers do not want her to discuss any issues with the public at all and hope to ride her good name recognition into the election night sunset. ( Barb? I know her...no, no, not from Twitter. From the TV!)
- After repeating that she has both "Respect for Money" and "A Social Heart", there are too many characters left in the 140 maximum for her to complete a tweet on twitter. What to say....what to say?
- Rod Love told her... "Ralph Didn't need no stinking internets....we didn't even have an internets back in 1980. We had an old motor home and dimes for the payphone. "
With two followers ( one being Calgarydemocracy.ca, which is an excellent site headed by fellow CalgaryPolitics.com blogger Grant Nuefeld) and no interaction with the Calgary voters, I give Barb "the great communicator" a failing grade.
** Update** Here is a link to my post about my follow up coffee with Barb Higgins... http://www.calgaryrants.com/2010/08/coffee-with-calgary-mayoral-candidate.html