Thursday, April 16, 2009
More Sugarplums from Ald. Druh Farrell
Confirming my theory that nothing that comes out of City Hall shocks me these days, I was not surprised to hear about Calgary Ald. Druh Farrell's recent "Sugarplum" idea. With what must be a lack of other priorities in her ward, this genius Alderman has decided to push ahead with a plan to shut down part of Memorial Drive on Sunday's this August, turning it into a Promenade.
For those who do live in Calgary, Memorial Drive is an East-West road that goes right through the City Centre, connecting people to Crowchild Trail and Deerfoot Trail. Farrell boasts that this is a "Great Idea" and wonders who would oppose such a wonderful thing? Well, a poll on QR77 yesterday showed that the majority of Calgarians do not support this idea.
Thankfully, our common sense Ald. Ric McIver has been outspoken on his opposition to this idea. But wait... Ald. Farrell confirmed that she does not need to take the proposal before City Council to get this type of closure approved. He vowed to try and pass a motion later this month to stop this nonsense.
Why would anyone oppose this idea? Here is my reasoning...
1) How can one Alderman decide to close a main road that is used by ALL Calgarians?
2) Why should anyone have to replan their traffic route to appease Druh's sugarplum ideas. Why doesn't she move her planned "Rollerblade and Mountain Bike love-in" onto a local side street in her Ward? This would avoid the potential inconvenience to the REST of the City.
3) Safety Concerns.... How will this area be policed? Will the city have to assign specific officers to monitor the area during the shut down? I would think so. What about the access to the rest of the road for Ambulance and/or Police vehicles trying to get through? Will she simply yell "CAR" and everyone will move to the side of the road like street hockey players?
4) Business concerns... Why would she want to restrict traffic to the shops in Kensington? Sunday's are likely slow as it is...why hamper potential customers from visiting the establishments in her own ward?
4) Please, Please Ald. Farrell...come up with something original. This idea is being copied from other cities, ( eg. Ottawa) Why not come up with a unique idea? You already got your $25MM designer bridge approved...just let it go already!
Hopefully Mayor, oops..I mean Ald. McIver will show City Council that this idea needs to be put to bed for good. If not, where will it end?