After so much speculation and hoopla over the unveiling of the $25MM pedestrian bridge, I must admit I was quite disappointed with the final design. I was expecting this big, iconic bridge that would add something spectacular to the tourist postcard photos of downtown Calgary. This design is actually quite silly in my opinion.
Technically I am sure it is quite revolutionary, as the typical pillars and steel girders are purposely missing, but who really cares at the end of the day. It is so low to the ground, it looks like someone hauled a large log and laid it across the river. Yikes....
I am surprised that the architect did not put a cowboy hat on top of it, you know, to give it that Calgary Feel because it sure does not match with anything else in this city.
I was really pissed when I found out that some council members threw up the NAME smokescreen to hide the biggest mistake of their political careers. Calling this the PEACE BRIDGE is fine, but the optics and reasoning are political in nature only. Who is going to come out and speak against our counties Armed Forces? This got me thinking...I wonder if any other names where thrown around? Here are my thoughts on some they should have potentially considered:
- "Don't throw rocks at small, cute kittens" Bridge? ( Because everybody loves kittens!)
- "FRIDAY" Bridge? ( Again...everyone loves Friday's!)
- "Druh Farrell's direct route out of council" bridge.
- "What a bloody waste of Money" Bridge.
- " We do not need to cut property taxes" Bridge.
- " The Piece of Shat" bridge.... ( Shortened to just the PEACE BRIDGE.)
- "Remember when Bronconnier was Mayor?" Bridge.
- "This would never happen if Ric McIver was mayor" Bridge.
- "I am sure the Wildrose Alliance will blame Premier Stelmach for this bridge" Bridge.
- "The Dollar Store Candy Cane" Bridge.